Coffee grounds are totally compostable and even those of us with black thumbs know that used coffee grounds are great for your plants. But is that their only use? Apparently not. Here are some other ways to use up the dregs from your cuppa joe.
- Mix with water or soap to make your own exfoliating scrub to wash away dead skin cells.
- Used as a scrub on your lower half it's said to minimize the appearance of cellulite.
- What works for your face will also work for your kitchen counters (it may stain grout however)
- Mix coffee grounds with egg whites to make a mask for your face. Slather it on and let it dry then rinse it off with water.
- Rinse your pets with coffee grounds to help keep fleas away.
- Sprinkle coffee grounds near cracks to keep ants at bay.
- An open glass of coffee grounds absorbs odors in your refrigerator or freezer.
- Pour them into a single sock or nylon, knot it. Use it to clear out odors from sneakers, your closet or your car.
- Use them to scrub your hands after cutting onions or cleaning fish.
- Work coffee grounds into your hair after you wash it instead of your regular conditioner to make it soft and shiny.
- Use them as a natural dye for your hair, paper, fabric and wood.
(Image: Flickr member deapeajay licensed under Creative Commons)