However, I generally am not a huge fan. It's loud and I don't necessarily like how it feels — it's an unnatural feeling of cool. Once it's on, usually I revert to be too cold. I grew up without air conditioning and have lived without it most of my life until moving into my current home. And I survived, no big deal. Most, if not all, of the places I've lived have had either ceiling fans or portable fans, or both, which I love. I much prefer the feeling of moving air, breezes, and natural ventilation if possible.
Air conditioning seems to be taken advantage of and is overused. Working in the architecture field, I know though, that much of our air conditioner use is in response to the way structures are built and the climates they're built in. Nowadays rather than utilizing climate-responsive design, buildings are going up all over the country that look and function exactly the same without any regard to the local climate.
I also believe that air conditioning use is a cycle. The more you use it, the more you need it, the more it stays on. You never adjust to the natural air temperature, so the heat feels hotter, and the conditioned air feels more necessary.
Where do you fall on the air condition spectrum? Keep it on, off, or somewhere in between?
More on the pros and cons of air conditioning across the web:
• Your Air Conditioner Makes You Fat [Treehugger]
• Air Conditioning Makes You Weak [Gawker]
• Counterpoint: Air Conditioning Makes You Cool and Strong Like Fonzie [Gawker]
• Should Air-Conditioning Go Global, or Be Rationed Away? [The New York Times]
• Is Air Conditioning a Human Right? The New York Times Debates the Question [Treehugger]
• Air Conditioning is a Symptom of Our Inflated Entitlement Complex [Treehugger]
(Image: Zsolt, Biczó/Shutterstock)
MORE A/C POSTS ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
• 8 Tips For A Cool Night's Sleep (Without the AC!)
• Top 5 Ways to Lower Your A/C Use
• Good Questions: A/C Or The Highway?
• Who Gets Control of the Air Conditioner at Your House?
• 10 Ways To Save Energy When Air Conditioning Is A Must
• 5 Unexpected Benefits to Forgoing the Air Conditioner
• Live Without: An Air Conditioner
• 9 Tricks to Beat the Heat (Without Turning Up the AC)