I've got two problems with kids' clocks right now. The first is that my 10-year-old is getting to the point where he needs his own alarm clock to wake up; I think he should be starting to be responsible for getting up on his own. The second is that my 7-year-old has taken to waking up between 4am and 5am, calling my husband into his room, and asking him, "How long 'til morning?" Neither of my kids currently has a lighted clock in his room; they both have analog clocks that they can't see in the dark. So I'm on a quest to find a clocks that light up and that can serve as alarms. Here's what I've found so far:
1. Clocky Alarm Clock on Wheels, $39.99. He rolls away from you when the alarm goes off so you have to chase him. And he'll sustain a fall from a bedside table. And also, he's just super cute.
2. Teach Me Time! Talking Alarm Clock & Night-Light, $39.95. This clock has everything: a digital and analog display, an alarm, and a soft night light. What's innovative is that you can set the clock to glow green at a certain time, which indicates to your young child that it's ok to get out of bed.
3. Tetris Alarm Clock, $26.19. OK, so maybe this one is for me. Whenever the time changes, it falls into place via little tetris blocks. I would stare at it all day.
4. LEGO 1 x 1 Alarm Clock, $26.77. Who can resist the lure of a Lego?
5. Pacman Alarm Clock, $14.99. Simple and cute, this clock wakes you with Pacman sounds. Perfect for a video game-playing boy?
6. Flying Alarm Clock, $9.99. When the alarm goes off, the propeller soars off the base, and it won't stop buzzing until you've retrieved and replaced the flying piece. Sadistic? Maybe.
7. Dual Projection Alarm Clock, $30.00. Project the time onto the ceiling or wall. Perhaps I'll never have to go into my son's room at 4:37am and answer the question, "how long til morning?"
Do you have any suggestions for me? Let me know in the comments!
(Images: as linked above)