Name: Alexandra and Christine, plus cats Rishikesh and Watson
Location: Denver, Colorado
Size: 1,000 Square Feet
Years lived in: 1 year; Rented
John Muir once said: "The Mountains are calling and I must go." Sitting in Alexandra and Christine's space with a cup of tea in hand and soothing incense burning nearby, it's clear why they both chose to relocate here a little over a year ago. The culture and the history of the mountains breathe and mix seamlessly with mementos from their personal travels and adventures. Indeed, the mountains aren't the only appeal of this Denver abode.
The two friends met years ago when they each moved to Colorado to attend Colorado College. They bonded quickly over a passion for travel, camping, and a mutual love of animals. In fact, each attended zoo camp as children, an experience I couldn't ask enough questions about. Their proclivity for the natural is clear, with antlers, plants and driftwood spread throughout nearly every room. Natural light streams in through gorgeous large windows and warms an already sunny space with high ceilings and a rustic edge.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: East meets west; eclectic with an emphasis on textiles and clean backgrounds.
Inspiration: India, The American West, grandmothers and mothers, James Turrell, magic, Mississippi John Hurt, open space and open skies, Lenore Tawney, antiquity.
Favorite Element: The high ceilings and the beams — being able to suspend enough things to create a sense of flotation.
Biggest Challenge: Storage — we share a closet.
What Friends Say: The best we’ve heard is “chez deux chats noirs de Denver.” We’re kind of cat ladies.
Biggest Embarrassment: We have no walls (!)
Proudest DIY: The use of our beams — everything up there came with a high fall risk.
Biggest Indulgence: The rugs. We hunted them down in Jaipur, Jaisalmer, and Jodhpur and had them shipped back to the states.
Best Advice: Black cats will ruin a white couch more quickly than you’d imagine.
Dream Sources: Rocks from Creed, bones from Abiquiu, textiles from Rajasthan.
- Our mother's chairs
- Couch, clothes rack, curtains - Ikea
- Hunter Cat Tipi - Cat Tipi
- Sheepskin - Ikea
- Faux fur throws -Restoration Hardware
- Elephant quilts - Ladakh
- Plastic animals and gold spray paint - Michaels
- Hanging ghostwood - eBay
- Tarot deck - Wild Unknown
- Plants - Our favorite source for plants in Denver is Paulino Gardens
- White candles - Anywhere we can get them
- Starry string lights - Restoration Hardware
- Pendant lamp - Ikea
- Rugs: Persian and Rajasthani
- Color photography on hand made paper - Dharamsala
- Lithographs and etchings - Tamarind Institute
- Old photographs - Suresh Studio, Jaisalmer
- Asa Smith celestial print - The Old Print Shop in New York City
- Graphite Hand - Agelio Batle
- Russian Orthadox Virgin Mary Icons
- Roycroft book from the 1930’s
- Mid century danish canvas chair
- Rug from Iran
- Turn of the century type-drawer
- 19th century Sri-Lanken woodblock
Thanks, Alexandra and Christine.
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Follow Apartment Therapy's board House Tours Apartment Therapy on Pinterest.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!
(Image credits: Elizabeth Giorgi)