- Washington, DC
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- We love the huge windows and open layout. We get a lot of natural light, which helps considerably in a small space. The layout has allowed us a lot of flexibility with our set up -- we have been able to create separate areas without having to use objects to divide the space. I previously lived in an apartment with all sorts of nooks and crannies that limited my furniture options, so I'm happy for this change. The walk-in closet, with a little creativity, also gives us the freedom for one person to stay up late and work if the other wants to go to sleep.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space:
- Since we wanted to stick to a serious budget, the toughest part was making our studio a home without spending a lot. It is a rental, so we were limited in the modifications we could make, and we were starting with a very cookie-cutter generic space without a lot of character. We didn't want to purchase too many things that we wouldn't be able to take with us at some point when we move on. So using what we already had in a creative way to fit the space has proved to be the biggest challenge, along with the murphy bed. We found a used one with considerable storage at a great price. But we had to disassemble it and transport it from the previous owners' place, and then figure out how to put it together piece by piece without instructions. We almost regretted buying it, but once we got through transport and assembly, we were pretty stoked about the decision. It allows us to have friends over frequently without feeling like they are hanging out in the bedroom.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are::
- We'd love some gauzy curtains to hide the apartment-issued vertical blinds, and we are still working on finding a coffee table. However, what we would love the most would be to buy a lovely painting by Eli Halpin for the wall above the bed (when it's open!).
More posts in Small Cool 2013
ATVideo of the Day