Name: Alison & Eric
Location: Carthay Square — Los Angeles, California
Size: 1885 square feet
Years lived in: 1 year — own
Alison and Eric's house is filled with light, color, art, design and happiness with a relaxed California feel. All the things you want in the place you call home! They found an incredible house in Carthay Square, a neighborhood they always loved and admired.
They have taken a Spanish style adobe house and turned it into a modern, chic, eclectic piece of art. Their home acts as a multifunctional live/work space for both of them, so having enough room to take care of everything they need to during the day is very important.
For only being in this home one year they have done a stand up job with making it feel so lived in and guest ready, a requirement that means a lot to them. One of the simplest and most impressive DIY's they have done is the kitchen floor. The tile was a light colored Spanish style that they really weren't keen on, and instead of ripping it out and starting new they went over it with a dark stained shellac that turned the floor into a delicious, rich, chocolate brown that looks like a million bucks.
Not only does their home provide their live/work and guest requirements, but soon they will be adding a third member to their family. One of their next projects is the nursery! Congratulations and thank you for sharing your home with us.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Eclectic, vintage, joyful, spirited, laid back, artful, eco-fabulous
Inspiration: We are inspired by colors from 1950s antique glassware, midcentury modern furniture, clean lines and one-of-a-kind ceramic pieces. We inspire each other. That, and our inspired designer and friend and collaborator, Faith Blakeney.
Favorite Element: Creative re-use of familiar objects in unfamiliar places such as hanging a collection of vintage hand mirrors, using afghan quilts as rugs, and art shelves as magazine racks.
Biggest Embarrassment: Existing conditions that are too costly to replace - like the tiles in two of the bathrooms.
• Kitchen Floor Project - turning standard Saltillo tile into a cool kitchen floor
• Picnic Table Project - outdoor modern dining that respects the ease of the outdoors built with friends so that we can all sit down and create more memories (Thank you, Owen A. Kelly!)
• Master Bathroom Mirrors - The wall of mirrors in the master bathroom
• Buy $1,000 worth of artwork each year from young, emerging artists. One beautiful piece can transform a room in an instant.
• If you can't do it really well, either don't do it at all or pay someone who can.
• Work with a designer. Develop a trusting relationship with someone to help translate your ideas and desires and budget into a livable, lovely space that makes you happy every time you walk in. Our design guide was Faith Blakeney.
• Go to flea markets early in the morning. We love collecting objects with personality; flea markets are the best place to be inspired and to collect.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
• brand: color Farrow & Ball
• doors: pitch blue
• fireplace: chaparral green
• brand: color Dunn-Edwards
• walls: cottage white
• kitchen: happiness
• office and dining: tranquility
Thanks, Alison & Eric!
Images: Alysha Findley
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.