- Alison, Liz & Nicole
- Chicago, IL
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- Alison: I love that it's cat-friendly. I own one orange tabby and foster two other cats (for Feline Friends Chicago), so they need to be able to exercise their natural instincts. I have a hollow ottoman that they sleep in while I can put my feet up, an awesome floor to ceiling solid wood cat tree, and special shelving in the kitchen that allows them to climb on top of the cabinets. Liz: My favorite space is the kitchen. It has a huge window and gets great light, especially in the morning. I like sitting at our high table and drinking coffee while looking out onto the courtyard below! I also love our chalkboard door in the kitchen. Its fun to change it up and to write messages to each other. I also love our collection of artwork in the apartment. Alison and I are both artists, so we have plenty of our own art and have a small collection from our artist friends. Nicole: My vintage Harry Potter blanket.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. The most important thing I've learned from living with two other people in a small apartment is how crucial well placed storage is. LOTS of storage. If we leave stuff out the space immediately feels small and cramped.
2. Trial and error. I re-arranged my bedroom about five times before I was happy with it. I can't even count how many times I've moved artwork around. I painted our kitchen bright aqua ("Mermaid's Tail") when we moved in. Experiment, live in it, and then change things accordingly. I am definitely a slow decorator.
3. Take advantage of vertical space. Chicago apartments tend to have high ceilings, so I fill them up with large scale artwork and shelves for MORE storage!
ATVideo of the Day