- Washington, DC
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I love the natural light and high ceilings, which help it to not feel so small. And, I love that because it is small, we've had to manage storage and stay organized. Everything has a specific place, and there are no 'junk drawers.' As with other small living spaces, I love what usually comes with them... a great location. We're walking-distance to work, school, the grocery store, shopping in Georgetown, and have great access to Rock Creek Park, the Waterfront, and the National Mall for our morning runs.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1) When there isn't a lot of room for storage, you don't have space to hid your ugly things. Instead splurge (or hunt at flea markets) for the prettier version of every day items, which can remain on display.
2) For things you do have to hide, use nice-looking containers that match each other, such as a felt hamper and file boxes, or a matching series of woven baskets.
3) Buy smart pieces. Our sofa folds out to a queen sized bed, and has storage beneath. Our bed has full drawers underneath it on both sides, and our dining set takes up minimal space. We also got rid of our low dressers (the air above them is wasted) and opted for full-height storage wardrobes in the bedroom. If you are on a student budget like we were, look on Craigslist.