Honestly, I don't have a very big budget for this month's cure. And letting me loose in a home decor shop is basically a fast-track to family debt. But since I am looking for bits and pieces to tie the colors together in my kids' room I decided that today I would... stay at home and do a little "shopping around the house"! Here's where I looked and what I found...
1. The refrigerator door. (Or wherever you store your kids' artworks). A commenter on my "before" photos suggested I try framing some of my kids' art to bring some color to their bare, boring walls. I found these two watercolors that my son had painted that are in the perfect color scheme! Cost : $0.
2. The linen closet. Argh! This thing is filled to the brim with junk. Including a whole lot of stuff we never use. After some digging I found these emerald velvet cushions I had bought a while back from Crate & Barrel (they were marked down to only $2!) that I knew would come in handy one day.
3. The toy chest. I went through the kids' toys and sifted out some of their toys that fit the color scheme I've got for the room. Included here: this awesome wooden shield, complete with red unicorn. I tied some rope through the handles at the back, and now it's gone from rarely used dress-up item to awesome wall art.
4. The basement storage. Every now and then I send stuff from around the house to the basement, maybe because it doesn't work in the space anymore, maybe because I've simply become a bit sick of looking at it. And then it's in the basement — so I forget I have it. In this category — this amazing little coat rack, complete with mushroom? and apple tree.
I know shopping around your house might seem a bit crazy, but for me, since I was armed with a color scheme and vision for the room, it was actually super helpful. And it also gave me a much clearer picture of what I need to buy at the actual store: bed sheets and curtains. I was hoping to find something that would work in my linen press, but no such luck. Good thing I've saved those pennies left in the budget!
So go on, shop your house. If you find anything awesome, share below!
MORE OF ALISON'S STYLE CURE:
• Alison's Interview: Me, or the Kids?
• Alison's Treasure Hunt: Inspiration Scouting, From Bed
• Alison's Before Photos: A Newly-Shared Room for Ralph and Ivy
• Alison's Floor Plan: Learning To Plan Using Free Software
• Alison's Wall Pattern Project: Help! Color?
• Alison's Product Research: Oops! I Already Bought Something!
(Images: Alison Gerber)