My baby niece has many adorable things, but the one I covet most is her mobile. (I felt a little sheepish about my affinity for dangling plush animals, until my sister pointed out that mobiles are really for adults anyway: all Madeleine can see from her crib is a lot of lion and tiger undersides, suspended tantalizingly just out of reach.) If you, too, are a little jealous of the babies in your life, here are some mobiles for all us grown-ups out there. If you think about it, a mobile is really a terrific little bit of decor: it's a great way to add a little bit of visual interest to a space, like having a sculpture without worrying about finding the floor or table real estate for it (or having it knocked over by kids or pets). And hanging things from the ceiling draws the eye upwards, making a space seem larger. Here are some of our favorite modern, grown-up mobile options.
Prefer to make your own? Try one of these nifty DIYs.
- Himmeli #8 mobile, $143.00 from HRUSKAA.
- Terracotta and iron mobile, $798.00 from Terrain.
- Nova Mobile, $72.00 from The Wonderland Studio.
- White seedpod mobile, approx. $48 from Kuberstore.
- Large brass Himmeli, $295.00 from HRUSKAA.
- Photo mobile, $14.00 from Moma Store.
- Calder inspired mobile, $54.00 from Sky Setter.
- Sea Glass Mobile from The Rubbish Revival.
- Birds in Harmony mobile, $35.00 from Moma Store.
- Themis mobile, $37.00 from Poketo.
- DIY Geometric mobile from Curbly.
- DIY Geometric Mobile from Rotkehlchen.
- Leaf Mobile DIY from Design*Sponge.
- DIY Himmeli from Aunt Peaches.
- DIY Calder-inspired mobile from Curbly.
(Images: as linked above)