Neighborhood: Les Batignolles
City: Paris, France
My Home: 25 square-meter, one-bedroom apartment in a Haussmann Building
Les Batignolles used to be a hamlet outside of Paris. It's been part of the capital for a century and a half but has retained a village feel. The originality of this frontier area is that it adds a grungy popular feel to the bourgeois 17th district. Allegra's Guide to Les Batignolles
The heart of the neighborhood is its romantic garden named "square des Batignolles." The nearby railway wasteland is being redeveloped and in the years to come will be sprouting a variety of architectural designs. As much as I'm excited, I hope it won't disrupt the charm and harmony of my neighborhood.
1. Favorite Neighborhood Home Store
- SOUKOTYSSU: 176 Rue Legendre, 75017 Paris
A shop where you find fabrics from the whole wide world.
2. Go-to Shop for Gifts
- FRENCH TOUCHE: 1 Rue Jacquemont, 75017 Paris
A fantastic place to see what Paris has to offer in arts and crafts.
3. Best Vintage Shop, Thrift Store, or Flea Market
- MADAME CHOSE: 94 Rue Nollet, 75017 Paris
4. Favorite Bookstore
- LA LIBRAIRIE DE PARIS: 7-9-11 Place de Clichy, 75017 Paris
5. Favorite Coffee Shop, Café, or Restaurant
- LES CAVES POPULAIRES: 22 Rue des Dames, 75017 Paris
6. Best Hardware/Paint Store
- CASTORAMA IN LES ARCADES: 1/3 Rue de Caulaincourt, 75018 Paris
7. Best Place to Pick Up Groceries
- MARCHÉ COUVERT DES BATIGNOLLES: 96 Bis Rue Lemercier, 75017 Paris
8. Best Place to Buy Flowers
- LA FABRIQUE D'EFFETS: 104 Rue Legendre, Paris 75017
Flowers and wines.
9. Best Neighborhood Park
- SQUARE DES BATIGNOLLES: 11 Place Charles Fillion, 75017 Paris
10. Best Spot to Take Visitors
- GARDENS OF THE ELDORADO HOTEL: 18 Rue des Dames, 75017 Paris
Best place to have a drink or lunch à la fraîche. Go in by the Bistro des Dames (18 Rue des Dames, 75017 Paris) and ask to be seated outdoors.