Allison and her cats, Pooh Bear and LBA. Location: Cleveland Park, Washington, DC Size: One bedroom, about 850 square feet. The apartment is split into two levels, which helps it feel a bit roomier. Years lived in: 2.5, rented If you know Matters of Style, the blog Allison co-authors with her friend, Sarah, or their online marketplace, then you already know what a fresh eye she has for vintage style and a good deal. Stepping into Allison's Cleveland Park apartment was almost like stepping right into her blog— an inspired mix of classic pieces, Palm Beach flair, and clever DIY projects arranged to exude a sophisticated playfulness.
- • builder's white, came with the apartment
LIVING ROOM/ DINING ROOM
- • Sofa: custom from Country Chair in Hickory, NC. They will make anything you can dream up and use whatever fabric you send them. The quality is great and the price is comparable to, if not less than, most of the major furniture chains.
• Living Room Rug: Urban Outfitters. It’s on its last legs, but considering I got it for something ridiculous like $25, it’s served me well.
• Gold Étagère: Vintage from Miss Pixie’s on 14th Street. You don’t see faux bamboo pieces like that very often in the Washington area, so I snapped it up the second I saw it!
• Coffee table : West Elm.
• Roman Shades were a DIY project. You can see the play by play on Matters Of Style.
• Dining table: Ikea. Though I’m holding out hope for a marble-topped Saarinen table one day!
• Dining chairs: Vintage from Miss Pixie’s. I painted them black and sewed the cushion covers myself.
• Bar Cart: Vintage, courtesy of my co-blogger Sarah. She lives in Charlotte. Her well-stocked attic is my favorite place to shop!
• Accessories: • Mirror over the fireplace was a Craigslist steal. • The sconces are vintage Italian that I purchased at Sleepy Poet in Charlotte. I also love accessorizing with plants, but unfortunately my cats tend to consider them appetizers. LIGHTING
- • The bedside lamps are from Pottery Barn he desk lamp is vintage;
• apothecary lamp in the living room is from Pottery Barn
• a friend got it for me from the Goodwill Outlet in Florida.
- • Sunburst mirror: vintage Syroco from Ebay.
• Bed: Upholstered headboard is a DIY project. You can check out the play by play on Matters of Style.
• Bedroom bookshelf: vintage, but repainted.
• X Bench: one of my favorite thrift store finds. Ballard Designs sells similar ones.
• Octagonal Brass Bedside table: Craigslist.
• Desk: sawhorse legs are from Ikea but have been painted. You can see details on Matters of Style
- Most of my artwork is vintage, though I’ve reframed much of it. I
particularly love my antique map collection. It’s a nice way to remember the places
I’ve lived or cities that are significant to me.
Leah Moss • HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here • Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form. • Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.