Name: Alyssa Remington and son, Lucien Blu
Location: San Rafael, California
Size: 750 square feet
Years lived in: 1 — rented
Alyssa Remington can go from amazing mother, to creative crafter, to fabulous photographer in three seconds flat. She is one of those unassuming, enviable souls who is amazing at everything she does. When I visited her apartment, I realized one more thing she is good at-creating a beautiful space that celebrates her many talents and interests.
Gathering treasures from local flea markets and yard sales allowed her to create a space that is happy and relaxed on a small budget. Her photography is instant art and her handmade crafts give the space a look that is artistically homespun.
A true bohemian at heart, Alyssa playfully mixes new and old with abandon. Her artistic nature can be seen in the smallest of statements, whether it be a tiny wooden buddha on her windowsill, or a collection of heart-shaped stones found over the years with her son, Lucien. All these small statements add up to one big-spirited, charming abode.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: I grew up at the beach, so I really like my house to feel like you can walk in with sandy feet and a wet bathing suit...casual, comfortable, and colorful.
Inspiration: Flea markets, travel and my mom, who has created the most beautiful, warm and creative living spaces, for as long as I can remember.
Favorite Element: I love every aspect of our kitchen and backyard. But I'd have to say, our art is my all time favorite element; my son's kindergarten paintings, the painting of the Golden Gate Bridge I found at the Alameda flea market, a vintage poster from our trip to Vietnam and the portrait of my son, painted by a close friend's father, Udi.
Biggest Challenge: Every time I look for a new apartment, hardwood floors and a bathtub are really high on my wish list... this apartment doesn't have either (the kitchen sink, built in table and old stove are what ended up winning me over).
What Friends Say: "This place is so you."
Biggest Embarrassment: I'm really not a fan of carpet. I covered it in the living room with sea grass. My son was thrilled to finally have carpet in his room though, and thinks I'm an absolute nut for caring.
Proudest DIY: The raw wood signs I stamped, and have throughout our house make me pretty happy. I also really like to find old pieces of furniture that need a couple of nails, some paint and a new home. Oh, and my boyfriend made the perfect white bookshelf in my living room.
Biggest Indulgence: I really love cozy, soft bed linens... they don't have to be fancy, just a really high thread count.
Best Advice: Never leave another country without bringing a little something back for your home.
Dream Sources: European flea market's or Buenos Aires
Resources of Note:
- • Vintage 60's Sofa: Beach House Style, Fairfax
• Antique Trunk/Coffee Table: Alameda Flea Market
• Vintage White Lamp: Beach House Style, Fairfax
• Lucien's Painting: painted by friend, Udi
• Natural Wooden Bench: Beach House Style, Fairfax
- • Round Woven Pedestal Baskets: IKEA
• Golden Gate Bridge Painting: Alameda Flea Market
• Blue Sconce: Alameda Flea Market
• Table Decor: Anthropologie
- • Door/Headboard: Urban Ore, Oakland
• Lamp Shade: Anthropologie
• White Floral Vases: Splendid Little Shoppe
• Orange Linen Curtains: Pierre Lafond, Santa Barbara
- • Orange Chair: IKEA
• Orange Lamp: IKEA
- • Boatwood Frames: Beach House Style
• Beautiful Life Poster: Gift from friend
• Handmade Artwork & Photography: Alyssa Remington
- • Garden Furniture-Alameda Flea Market, Under the Sun Flea Market, Fairfax
Images: Alyssa Remington
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.