- Amanda & PV
- New York, NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- The light and location. My wife and I (and our two very active and curious cats) are in NYC for what may be a short period. We sold all our furniture and moved here 2 months ago with clothes, a 7-foot diy cat tree, and select kitchen equipment and art/décor. Our challenge was to quickly and cheaply create a functional home office, entertainment space, and kitty playground (it's their home too!). You can probably tell that IKEA threw up in here, but for this temporary stay, our tidy, inexpensively furnished pad is a serene home base from which to explore the city.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Be flexible - We love colorful walls and furnishings, but due to time and money limitations we've embraced alternatives. For example, our lessor left behind the couch, coffee table, and living/bedroom rugs, which are a tad large and neutral for us, but the couch allows us to cuddle up together, the coffee table holds a LOT of wine glasses, and the rugs hide ALL CAT HAIR!!!
2. Be ruthless about managing clutter (whatever you deem clutter) and organize! - A place for everything and everything in its place.
3. Let go of perfectionism. This one is, admittedly, the hardest one for us. There are many things that feel incomplete - we want more plants, artwork, colorful cushions for the couch, better organization for my bracelets than a paper towel roll, wall paint, etc. etc. We almost didn't submit for the contest but then decided to accept that things aren't exactly the way we want them to be but we try to live life to the fullest anyway.
ATVideo of the Day