I’ve griped about my tiny under-counter fridge in the past, so I’ll spare you my litany of complaints today. Suffice it to say; while a regular old Frigidaire would set my heart to palpitating with desire, these dreamboats have me positively swooning!
Before you get your hopes up, let me just say that most of these are prototypes. Still, it’s fun to see where the future of refrigeration could be heading—after all, pretty much everything in our kitchens starts out as a prototype before being put into production! Fingers crossed, we could be seeing some of these in our local appliance stores in the next several years….
1. Meneghini is the Lamborghini of refrigerators. These coolers are actually already available for purchase—if you’ve got 5 figures to spend on a fridge, that is. If not, check out their refrigerators anyway—it’s truly inspiring to see how beautiful a humble appliance can be.
2. The Flatshare Modular Fridge won Electrolux’s Design Lab Competition back in 2008. The idea is that it’s perfect for roommates sharing a kitchen. Imagine: no more “did someone drink my milk?”
3. I heart this SSamsung by GRO Design freestanding fridge prototype so much! Why aren’t more refrigerators designed to be cool pieces of furniture instead of being hidden behind cabinet panels?
4. The Celcius is another design competition winner, and like the Electrolux, it’s modular as well (I’m sensing a theme…). Besides being great for roommates, a modular fridge would be perfect for those who seek to purchase only the refrigeration they need—plus you could add on if your family grows!
5. The future is now! Ok, so there’s nothing new about the candy-coated Smeg refrigerator, but I love them and they continue to be a fun, modern, and small-space-friendly choice. Plus, you can actually purchase one (and still afford your mortgage)!
Would you buy a modular fridge if one actually came on the market?
Image Credits: Krunker, Robey’s UK, GRO Design, Elite Choice, SMEG USA