Name: "B" (12)
Location: Orange County, California
For our son B’s tween bedroom make-over we wanted to re-use as much of his existing furniture as possible and work with what we already had. We also wanted to feature his drawings, paintings and a couple of derby cars on a gallery wall.
As for inspiration for the room, we used an embroidered Mario which B finished from a kit I put together for him one time as an advent calendar gift. After he finished it, I cut a mat for it and framed it for his room.
One day, when talking about his room, B suggested something pixelated, which instantly became something with cardboard squares in my mind. He found a different Mario pose and I re-colored it to match the embroidered version.
B did all the math involved in figuring out how big the squares needed to be to arrive at a 5 foot Mario and how many pieces of cardstock we would need of each colors. Then we put it up together.
As for the rest of the room, we made some improvements to his bed frame which we had built a couple of years earlier, a queen bed with a twin trundle. Then, I repainted it in a charcoal color to match the new fabric I used to re-cover his existing headboard. We built the white desk using an IKEA table top and wood from the hardware store.
Other DIYs in this room included building the wall hung cubby next to the bed out of some left-over wood, re-covering his corner chair in white fur fabric, staining some wood for the wall shelves, spray painting some cardboard letters white for over the bed and finally hand-sewing Swiss crosses to some gray pillows.
- Wall color: White
- Blue square: Valspar's Blue Coal
- Gray bedframe color: Lincoln Cottage Black
- Desk paint: Behr Alkyd paint in white on top of two coats of Zinnser oil primer
- Cubby and shelves stain: Cabot Timber Oil stain - wood finish - Honey Teak color
- Queen bed with trundle: wood from the hardware store and parts from IKEA: Odda trundle and Sultan slats
- Desk: Vika Furuskogan top and wood from the hardware store for legs
- Lamps: Hektar and Aröd from IKEA
- Fur fabric for corner chair: JoAnn's
- Corner chair: Emmabo from IKEA - discontinued
- Desk chair: Stokke chair
- Fabric for headboard: Stof2000 (in Denmark)
- Rug: Gåser from IKEA
- Swiss cross pillows: Gurli pillows from IKEA plus fabric, batting and embroidery thread from JoAnn's
- Ceiling fan: Farmington from Home Depot
Thanks, Katja! Readers, see more of B's room and find more info on Katja's DIYs in this room at Shift Ctrl Art.
• MY ROOM ARCHIVE
• SUBMIT A BABY OR KID'S SPACE
(Image credits: Katja Kromann)