- London United Kingdom
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- My home is my retreat. It's a place to come home to, to unwind and relax. I chose it because it's close to central London and a stone's throw from the London Underground, but also because it's compact and just enough space for me. I love it because it teaches me discipline and the value of all that I own. When you have a small space, it prompts you to think about what it is you need v. what it is you want. I'm a naturally messy person and my tiny space has increasingly taught me the importance of looking after my environment.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Be disciplined. In a space as tiny as mine, it's important to clean up regularly, and to ensure you tidy as you go along. Staying away from interiors stores also helps. The temptation to add new things to your home can be overwhelming and a 'one in, one out' policy really is essential
2. Keep it simple. It can be easy to get carried away and think you need lots of things. I chose bold furniture and accents to generate colour in the space, leaving the walls largely clutter free. It's helped keep the apartment feeling light and airy.
3. Planning is key. Before you embark on creating a new home, think about how you will use and interact with the space. Think about your lifestyle and how your home needs to accommodate that. Don’t go overboard initially. Make do with the bare minimum before you compile a vast shopping list, then think how the list might change once you’ve lived in the space for a few months.