- Oak Park, IL
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I’ve lived in four different places in the past eight months. So even though I’m still adjusting to my new apartment and still learning about my (cool) new neighborhood, I love the comfort of being surrounded by familiar furnishings and eclectic treasures in the midst of so much change.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Minimize patterns. Decorating with solid colors can make a space feel serene and uncluttered and give the eye a place to rest. Since my current apartment is the smallest I’ve ever had, a clean color scheme keeps me from feeling confined.
2. Upgrade fixtures. Some of the features of a rental can seem pretty permanent. But instead of enduring ugly kitchen cabinets, I changed the drawer pulls and removed the upper cabinet doors to create open shelving. Plus I switched out the shower head, searched for new faucet handles, and took down bland light fixtures (hello chandeliers!).
3. Go dark. A small room can become completely enveloping when all four walls are covered with a rich, deep shade. I wrapped most of my bedroom in black contact paper, and then I stapled brown curtain panels up along one entire wall. Now the bedroom looks dark and glamorous—and it’s my favorite place to be!