Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- San Francisco, CA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- First, I love that I have a view of the city, and that my corner lets in plenty of sky. It's especially dramatic at dusk, when the changing color and light bring a feeling of serenity inside. Second, I adore the kitchen. It's tiny and old, so it's bare-bones, but still easy to cook in. Luckily it has a dining area, and the walls hold some favorite stuff. Third, I have a large entry hall for a place this size. I used to think I should put it to some clever alternative use--only nothing but the hall-as-hall ever worked, and now I see its point and enjoy it. Fourth, I like the bedroom for its difference from the rest of the place. I wanted it to suggest, not with objects but with texture and color, that the ocean is nearby.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- For years it has been the sofa problem in the living room--both what to have, and where to put it. No wall was long enough for even a small one unless I blocked a window with it, which I didn't like to do. But once I realized the sofa had to go in the middle of the room, an arrangement took shape. This rehabbed family hand-me-down doubles as a guest bed too.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- I could customize my closets! Or refinish the hardwood floors. Refinish the tub. Or redo the kitchen (it wouldn't get bigger, but it could stand being made new). Someday I want a rowing machine that fits under the bed. And I would set something aside for that amazing thing I'm going to stumble over one day--something special I don't know I need yet, but will simply be unable to live without. Those opportunities are the best.
See all entries
More posts in this series
Small Cool 2013