Name: Pierson Jacquelin, freelance TV editor/producer; Annie Jacquelin, mom; and 2.5 year old son Mason
Location: Culver City, Los Angeles, California
Size: 1,200 square feet
Years lived in: 5 years
"Just one more project before it's finished"… I had to wait a bit to see the final reveal of Annie and Pierson's home. Annie had been working day and night to finish things up, touching up paint, installing wallpaper, and going over every detail in the house. The design of your own home can be very personal, and I think everyone can relate to the feeling of never being quite finished.
Wallpaper, how I love thee! Annie and I both share a love for adding patterns to a home with wallpaper. It is front and center in the entryway, hallway, nursery, and bathroom. My favorite room with wallpaper is definitely the bathroom. The yellow accents in the paper with coordinating yellow storage boxes — swoon!
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: A mix of comfortable, functional and familial pieces with a modern, minimal and sophisticated feel.
Inspiration: My inspiration comes in waves. Mostly out of necessity. For instance, when we needed a bookcase/storage system for the living room, I set to task cruising websites and scouring magazines. Pre-Pinterest (hallelujah!), I'd rip pages from design magazines and print images from websites and tuck them in a massive three-ring binder.
Favorite Element: My Saarinen Womb Chair. I had no rest until I got it! And when I did, I didn't let anyone sit on it for years and years. Now our 2.5 year-old bounces around on it like a jungle gym. My, how times have changed!
Biggest Challenge: The depth and breadth of choice! Living in Los Angeles and having access to so many well-curated shops/studios is, at times, overwhelming, but what a blessing!
What Friends Say: That it's welcoming and well-organized. Many wonder where we keep "all of our stuff" and if I can help them "hide" theirs.
Biggest Embarrassment: Ugh! The fireplace. We LOVE having a wood-burning fireplace, but I haven't a clue how to improve upon it. I recently put a Band-Aid on it by painting the hearth brick and hanging a sunburst mirror above it. All suggestions are welcome…
Proudest DIY: The vintage white slipper chairs. Pierson brought these to the relationship, but not as you see them today. They were a god-awful iridescent green/teal/yellow floral pattern (circa late 50's Granny's parlor). I refinished the bases in our backyard and splurged and reupholstered them with Knoll fabric. Score!
Biggest Indulgence: The coy wallpaper in the bathroom! Who knew so little wallpaper could be so costly! (Totally worth it!)
Best Advice: Advice received — to be patient and not rush into decisions just because you want to cross a task off the list. Smart design decisions take time.
Dream Sources: Knoll and Herman Miller
Resources of Note:
- Nothing fancy here. We inherited and have been happy with the major appliances (all Kenmore) left by the previous owners.
- The KitchenAid Artisan stand mixer and Cuisinart Classic Toaster Oven are two key tools of the mom trade! Never used either as much as I have in the last two years!
- Kitchen: Danze
- Bathroom: Hansgrohe
- Child's kitchen: Ikea
- Dining table: vintage, a Pierson contribution
- Couch: Crate&Barrel
- Leather storage ottoman: Room&Board
- Slipper chairs: vintage, Knoll Textiles
- TV stand: West Elm
- Saarinen Womb chair: Circa50
- Bookcase (living room): ISS Designs
- Bookcases (office): Ikea
- Desk, red file cabinets, carbon file cabinet, glass-top stand (office): CB2
- Long and tall dressers (master bedroom): Blueprint Furniture
- Armoire (master bedroom): West Elm
- Headboard (master bedroom): West Elm
- White Eames-esque chair (master bedroom): on loan from Grant Rickard
- Bathroom vanity: custom made by Tom Adams Woodworking
- Crib, slim etagere, night stand, dressers, changing tray (child's room): Room&Board
- Rocker and ottoman (child's room): Monte
- Picture rails (dining room & child's room): Room&Board
- Custom square floor pillows (living room): Room&Board
- Fireplace screen: Crate&Barrel
- Sunburst mirror: Rejuvenation
- Rocking sheep: Bright Spark Design
- Mirror (entry): West Elm
- Mirrored cabinet (bathroom): Robern
- Apothecary shelf (bathroom): Empiric
- Live edge slab (bathroom): eBay
RUGS & CARPET
- Master bedroom rug: West Elm
- Living room, office, child's room: Flor
- BugsyAndSprite (Etsy)
- The Big Harumph (Etsy)
- SecretEyesOnly (Etsy)
- The Big Harumph (Etsy)
- PerlaAnne (Etsy)
Child's roomLiving room
- International Marketplace
- 3 Fish Studios
- Fine Old Posters
- BandAPrints (Etsy)
- Everything is Jake (Etsy)
Thanks, Pierson & Annie!
(Images: Marcia Prentice)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.