If you're in the market for your first apartment, chances are you don't have a lot of cash to throw around. But remember, kids, buying the cheapest version of what you need isn't always the smartest budgeting strategy. Investing in quality classics that will last you through many moves is worth more than all the Lack dressers you'll abandon over the years.
1. Key rack — Congrats, you're officially an adult. From now on, you'll never be keyless again so do yourself a favor and get a system in place right now for keeping track of those pesky little buggers.
2. Good tools — Just ask your dad! You'll never regret money spent on basic, good quality, long lasting tools.
3. At least one good pot and one good knife — Go for classic, useful and portable. Owning a few great kitchen basics is better than a whole drawer of plastic gadgets. Take care of them and they'll outlive you.
4. Noise Machine — As you'll soon discover, apartment living gets noisy. The sooner you find a solution, the easier your transitions to each subsequent apartment will be. A soothing noise machine can go a long way toward solid mental health, not an area worth skimping on.
5. A piece of art you love — When you find something that you just have to have, go for it. Art grows with you; the longer you keep it, the more it reminds you of all the places you've been and how far you've come.
- Re-edited from a post originally published 9.10.2013 - CM