We thought we were the only ones that checked the shower pressure when apartment hunting--but apparently that's the first thing Grace checks out. We've got a handful of things we always make sure to sniff out when looking at potential apartments. Don't forget to weigh in with what goes on your checklist after the jump!
- Parking If possible, we like to do a drive by of a potential apartment during the day and once at night to check out the parking situation. If there are no spaces for us (or guests to park) we'll probably skip on the apartment.
- Noise factor Because we work from home, it's oh-so important for the street to be quiet. If there's a school across the street or the apartment overlooks the freeway, it's a no-go for us.
- Shower pressure While shower pressure can be helped along with the right shower head, if the water is trickling out at a snails pace, we might have to pass.
- Deal breakers Make sure to have your list of deal breakers memorized. That way, if you find the perfect home but come to find out, it has one (or two deal breakers) you won't have to waste any more time checking out the apartment. Some of our deal breakers include carpet, must allow pets and apartment must have washer/dryer hookups.
- Check the windows Do they open or are they painted shut? If you've found the perfect apartment only to have the windows not open, make sure the landlord gets them in working condition before you sign the lease.
- Rent controlled Don't forget to check if the apartment is rent controlled (you don't want to move in only to have the rent hiked up drastically after only a year of living there).
- Apartment Hunting: Do A Nighttime Drive-By
- Apartment Hunting: Things That Scream Walk Away
- AT On... Apartment Hunting