Designs Received: 84
Pageviews: 347,483 pageviews vs. 298,048 in 2009 – 17% growth
Design Showcase Finalists
--------- Finalist Cutoff (closed on 9.22) ---------
16. FAcade Wallcoverings by Patrick Ediger & Romain Bouticourt (463)
17. ClearlyHerban Garden (451)
18. Tertulia Chairs (423)
FINAL - NO MORE ENTRIES
This time last year we launched our first ever Design Showcase, with the intention of giving a bunch of independent designers a really good soapbox from which to pitch their work. For the lucky finalists, we also wanted to give them even more exposure and see if we could help to boost their careers to a whole new level. Guess what? It worked. In the past 12 months, our 2009 winner, Emily Fischer, has had a tremendous run, getting picked up by major newspapers and magazines and watching her business skyrocket. So, it's time to do it again.
This year's judges have not yet been announced. Last year's judges were Sandy Chilewich, Drew Sanocki & Tina Roth Eisenberg (aka Swiss Miss).
THE BACK STORY
This month we’re putting out the call for great, new designs by independent and student designers that promise to make our homes more beautiful and inspiring places to live.
We’ll post the best submissions, allow the readers to vote and then give six finalists an unprecedented chance to feature their design and themselves by building their own original post on our site during prime time at the end of September.
Two winners will then be chosen (1 judge favorite and 1 crowd favorite) and each given $10k in advertising on our network and daily emails (if the same design is chosen by both sides, that person will win $20k). This is a golden opportunity to craft an even more personal message and get it in front of our audience of over 4.5 million monthly readers.
Note: Voting for each submission is open for 4 days (96 hours) this year.
This year we're going to run just like we did last year and open submissions today. So, if you've got a great design or a friend who does AND you want to get it out there, now's your chance.
Who Can Enter?
• Independent & student designers from all over the world
• Design couples and teams are welcome
We're looking for folks who need exposure and a big push to get them to the next level. Already designing for a big company? That's okay, but send us stuff you're doing on the side. We want to help you, not the big company.
What Designs Are Eligible?
• One original design that has reached prototype stage or beyond.
• No designs are eligible that have been purchased by or licensed to another company.
• Designs can be for home furnishings, accessories, lighting, appliances or textiles.
If it goes into the home, we're open to it. It can be decor, furnishing or materials related, just don't send us a car design.
What To Submit?
• Your name and contact info
• Materials description
• Your pitch! (@ 200 words)
• A link to your site if you have one (hey, it's 2010, every designer should!)
• Image of design drawing
• Three photographs of prototype or finished product (This is important. You must have taken it at least to prototype stage.)
• One photograph of yourself (Feel free to dress up and like as important as you feel).
Give us your best pitch, and your clearest product shots. Remember that first impressions are the most important.
Dates & Deadlines?
• Submissions accepted until September 13
• Submissions posted from August 30-September 17
• Finalists notified on September 22
• Finalists posted the week of September 27
The early birds will get the worm. We won't be able to post everyone, and are currently reserving 30 slots in August and September. We'll notify you if we post you or if we don't, and reserve the right to decide editorially whether or not a submission is strong enough to share with the crowd.
Note on Voting
Though you are allowed to ask your friends and family to vote, only one vote is allowed per person. If we find that any voting has been hacked and that one person has voted numerous times, we reserve the right to either throw out the votes we can identify or discount the submission entirely.
Got a great design? Let us help you make it big.