Milwaukee is one of our favorite Midwestern towns. Best known for the iconic Calatrava-designed Art Museum Pavilion, the area also has a lot to offer in terms of modern architecture on a smaller scale. We've rounded up a few examples of homes in and around the city that illustrate Milwaukee's particular breed of Midwestern modernism.
The homes above all have a pared-down aesthetic that embraces warm wood and long-wearing steel. Many of them have a distinct connection to nature, with views of surrounding trees and lots of natural light. For a more complete look at each home, click through the links below.
• Milwaukee Apartment by Joel Agacki from Metropolitan Home
• Aperture House by Vetter Denk from Dwell
• Ferrous House by Johnsen Schmaling Architects from Contemporist
• Home and Studio of the Little Friends of Printmaking
• Edstrom Home by Johnsen Schmaling Architects from Dwell