Crain's New York reports that "retailers enjoyed a successful April as same-store sales rose during the month, far surpassing last year... Analysts attribute the rise to a late Easter and strong job gains in February and March." Plus, Architectural Record asks what happens to architecture criticism when dailies shrivel and blogs take over, and Arch Daily posts the winners of the 2011 New York AIA Design Awards. Links and more news below.
DESIGN NEWS OF THE DAY
• April sales rose as Easter came late and consumers notched job gains | Crain's
• What Happens to Architectural Criticism When Bloggers Take Over? | Arch Record
• AIA New York's 2011 Design Award Winners | Arch Daily
• A Peek Inside Famous Writers Homes | Flavorwire
• Reality vs. Movies: Architecture of the Secret Lair | Design Observer
Photo: Scout | Apartment Therapy