Originally positioned as a Garden Office, the Archipod (pronounced 'ark-ee-pod' for 'architecture') aims to make it easy, accessible, and efficient to add a garden building of any type to your yard. Measuring only 3 meters (9.8 ft) in diameter, the sphere has a minimal footprint and uses only the best of green materials.
The insulated sphere is constructed mainly from FSC-certified wood and comes fully put together. Simply add electricity (and perhaps landline) and you have a ready-to-go office. Environment Points (via the website) as follows:
- The ‘Pod’ is predominantly made from timber, which is the world's most replenishable construction material. All the timber comes from either FSC-registered suppliers or is reused from surplus manufacturing.
- The design and size is optimized to minimize wastage in production.
- Heating is by way of an electric panel radiator, which is the most efficient way to heat a small, independent and highly insulated space such as a garden office. One advantage of working in a separate garden office is that it may be unnecessary to heat the main house during the day. They're currently reviewing using air source heat pumps for heating and cooling.
- Heat loss is minimized by the use of high standards of insulation and air tightness.
- The rooflight gives a high level of illumination during the day, so there is little need to resort to artificial lighting in use.
- Fibreglass insulation is made from recycled glass.
- They are currently developing alternative claddings that can use recycled or reused materials.
Archipod via Ecofriend