Air conditioning units typically last about 10-15 years, and regular maintenance can go a long way toward making sure its on the right side of that range.
Check These 3 Things Before Using Your Air Conditioner
- Change Filters regularly (every 30-60 days depending on filter type).
- Clean the vents indoors and on the outdoor unit itself — don't make it work more than it has to.
- Remove any sludge or grime from the drainage pipe. A wet-dry shop-vac can go a long way towards making sure things flow smoothly — just attach to end of drain pipe and suck out any grime that may be accumulating.
Setup reminders on your Google calendar, email, or smartphone to give the good sport the regular TLC it deserves.
Be sure to check out the links below for a few more pointers and detail. Learn from my mistakes — keep your A/C happy, the gremlins at bay, and delay the likely $5k burden to your pocketbook.
MORE AIR CONDITIONING POSTS ON APARTMENT THERAPY
• 5 Tips for Annual Air Conditioning Maintenance
• 3 Tips for Taking Care of Window Air Conditioner Units
(Images: Chris Perez)