If you're trying to avoid snowmen and sleighs this holiday season, think about buying cards inspired by the work of great artists and illustrators. Famous works of art are perennial crowd pleasers and have the added benefit of giving culture and holiday cheer.
Museum stores are the best place to find artistic holiday cards. Here are a few museums with online stores that sell holiday cards and stationery: The Metropolitan Museum of Art Store, Art Institute of Chicago Museaum Shop, National Gallery of Art Shop, The Getty Museum Store.
FINE ART HOLIDAY CARDS
• Andy Warhol, Shoe with Holly.
• Shepard Fairey, known for his controversial Obama Hope poster.
• Steven Guarnaccia, chair of illustration at Parsons the New School for Design.
• Peter Sis, known for his award-winning childrens' books, issues a holiday card every year.
• Frank Lloyd Wright, adaptations of four prism designs Wright created for the American Luxfer Prism Co.
• Picasso, Dove with Flowers.
• Monet, The Magpie.
• Marc Chagall, Madonna of the Village (left) and Flower and Bird (right).
• Ansel Adams, Winter Storm.
• Giovanni di Paolo, Angels Dancing Before the Sun (left) and Giovan Battista di Jacopo, Rosso Fiorentino (right).
Images: 1. Guardian 2. & 3. & 4. New York Times: Graphic Content | Designers' Holiday Cards 5. Taliesen Preservation, Inc 6. & 7. The Metropolitan Museum of Art 8. & 9. Art Institute of Chicago Museum Shop 10. Galison