Most of us don't have the space to make a room of the bathroom as in this lovely photo from French Elle Décoration. But it's an inspiring reminder to treat the bathroom like another room with decorative touches that can make it a cozy and inviting place to spend time. Even in a small space, replacing a sterile bathroom mirror with a vintage mirror, swapping out the usual bathroom rug for a sheepskin or a flokati, hanging candle sconces or a chandelier, or projecting a great piece of video art on the walls can transform the space. After the jump, highlights of more pointers from the editors at Elle Décoration...
1. Cover one wall with water-resistant vinyl wallpaper.
2. If you have room, put a freestanding tub in the center of the room, rather than pushed up against a wall.
3. Set up bookshelves where you can store books, photos or other objects.
4. Hang a pretty chandelier for soft lighting and a change of atmosphere. If you don't have the space, try light garlands or a bunch of votives.
5. Hang airy curtains from the windows and use opaque cloth blinds to let in the light.
6. Create a mismatched wall of small mirrors to reflect light.
7. If you have room, put a comfortable chair in the bathroom where you can relax.
- Kristin Hohenadel blogging from rue Vieille du Temple, Paris, France. She can be reached at kristinh @ apartmenttherapy . com