When apartment hunting, we always start off with a laundry list of things we want in an apartment (including
laundry facilities, of course). But as the search starts drawing out we notice the list slowly dwindling until we're crossing our fingers for someplace with a shag-carpeted tub. We kid, we kid. Even at our most desperate there are some deal breakers that would keep us from signing a lease...It's hard to have any stringent rules here, as often one bad thing can be pared with something else magnificent that makes up for it. Nevertheless, there are a few deal breakers we feel pretty strongly about:
• Lack of natural sunlight.We knew someone who lived in an apartment downtown with no windows. None. That's an extreme case, but we'd probably also call it off if there were no windows in the bedroom or bathroom. Or kitchen. Well, pretty much every room should have a window, right?
• Any signs of a mold or pest problem. This is just a matter of health. We don't want to have to deal with either of those problems in our home, if we can help it.
• A funky carpet. In an ideal world, we'd like no carpet at all, but we'd settle for one without a bunch of stains, thanks. Not only is this gross, it shows a lack of upkeep for the apartment, which doesn't bode well for issues down the road.
• Formica countertops. Well now we're just getting picky, you might say. But really, this is one of those things that makes us cringe. In the end it depends on the space, we guess. But until we're between a rock and a hard place, it stands.
We'd love to hear what you'd add or subtract from this list. What are your deal breakers?
• AT on.. Finding the Ideal Neigborhood
• AT on... Apartment Hunting
• Housing Musts and Maybes