Years ago, a boss of mine told me she was taking a vacation and that she'd be gone for a week. I asked her where she was going. She said "Nowhere." She was staying home to relax and accomplish a few things around her house. This was before I'd ever heard of a "staycation." (Had the phrase even been coined yet? I'm not sure.) A week's vacation with no packing, no camping, no hotels, no airports. At the time, it sounded boring to me. Since then, I've changed my mind...
Now, I'm still drawn to beaches and far away places in the summer; however, the idea of a week's vacation at home is also inexplicably appealing. I've never done it, but if I had the vacation hours, here are some of the things I would do.
1. In all honesty, I'd probably spend the first day doing laundry and dishes, cleaning, and futzing around on the computer.
2. I'd spend a good deal of time reading. Then I'd read some more. Then I'd read another book. (Preferably on our front porch, in the sun.)
3. If I had a garden, I'd most certainly spend time tending to it. But I don't, so I'd probably plant the herb garden I've been meaning to start for months now.
4. And I'd start one of a million projects I've been meaning to tackle in our apartment. First on the list? Painting the kitchen.
5. I'd rent plenty of movies.
6. Then I'd read some more.
Have you ever taken a staycation? What did you do? What would you do?