After seeing Sarah Rae's post on an attic abode from Loft Life, we thought we'd chime in with our own experience of top-floor living. We've been in our new, 4th-floor attic apartment for a couple of weeks now, and so far we love it. Apart from a couple of bumps on the head from our angled ceiling, we've found that living in a renovated attic offers a lot of perks...
• The skylights in our angled roof flood the entire space with daylight.
• We don't need curtains for our windows.
• Our balcony is small, but it has a top-floor view of the Sears Tower.
• The angled ceilings create architectural interest.
• Strategically placed under a skylight, our bed has views of the night sky.
• Ours is the only apartment unit that extends from the front to the back of the lot.
• Having a skylight in the bathroom is a small dream come true.
• We love the sound of rain on the roof.
• Whether hanging out on the balcony or inside, our dog loves sleeping in the sun.
• Our place feels like a small world of its own, floating above the rest of our building.
Photo: Loft Conversion from Architect Your Home