When we entertain, it seems like a choreographed magic act as we pull all our extra seating out of hiding spots scattered around the apartment. We have folding chairs behind bookshelves, in the back of closets and tucked behind the couch. We entertain often and need several extra seats close at hand but space is a top priority so it is important that they can be folded up and discreetly stored when not in use. So if you’re like me and need a handful of folding chairs but don’t want to be stuck with the lovely metal ones found in conference centers and classrooms, then you’re in luck. There are lots of attractive options at prices for every budget.
I’ve rounded up several folding chairs that will seamlessly blend into your home when they’re needed but can be folded up and stashed away when they are not.
1. Vintage Leg-o-matic Folding Chairs: I couldn’t talk about folding chairs without talking about these great finds. They are very sturdy and fold up remarkably well. I scored big time and found a pair on the sidewalk but have frequently seen them in antique stores, craigslist, Etsy and ebay. So keep your eyes peeled and you won’t be disappointed.
2. Lina Leather Folding Chair from Design Within Reach, $150
3. Lucite Folding Chair from ATG Stores, $138.90 for set of 2
4. Vintage Faux Bois Folding Chair from Etsy, $45.00
5. NISSE Folding Chair from IKEA, $12.99
6. Xtra Folding Aluminum Chair from Crate & Barrel, $54.95
7. Pantone Folding Chairs from Heliotrope, $69
8. JEFF Folding Chair from IKEA, $9.99
Images: Kate Wangsgard, Design Within Reach, ATG Stores, Etsy, IKEA, Crate & Barrel, Heliotrope, IKEA