Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- San Diego, CA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- When we moved from Los Angeles to San Diego, our search criteria for our new home was pretty simple. We wanted a fixer-upper with “good bones” and some architectural interest. We were thrilled when we found this townhome with an open loft bedroom and soaring vaulted ceilings. We knew that we would be undertaking a complete renovation of the interior. Every appliance, fixture and finish, including the dreaded popcorn ceilings, were original from the 70’s, but we saw it as a blank slate and an opportunity to create something really special. What is most appealing about the home is the open floor plan. You can experience the entire house all at once rather than room by room. With the renovation, we were very deliberate in our choice of materials, finishes, and minimalist design elements to preserve and enhance the bright and open atmosphere of the unit.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- Our previous home was a 700 square foot apartment. We made the mistake of overdoing it with furniture and accessories, which made it appear cluttered and even smaller. With this home, we were really selective with our furnishings, and we even custom built several of the pieces to fit the dimensions of the space and maintain the flow of the open floor plan. We really wanted every element in the home to have breathing room.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- If we win, we should probably use the money to replace our old single pane aluminum windows, but we'd much rather put it towards the purchase of an Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman.
See all entries
More posts in this series
Small Cool 2013