We confess: when we first thought about who were the designers and firms really influencing Austin design, we became overwhelmed. We're biased, for sure, but Austin's filled with talent. The ten we chose for this post have either recently won design awards or have caught our eye with an amazing project. A mix of commercial projects, residential projects and everything in between, you can get inspiration for your own home from the ideas of these creative designers.
- PageSoutherlandPage One of the largest firms in Austin, PageSoutherlandPage handles projects across the world, but we like many of the projects they've tackled here in town the best, like the Amli on 2nd condos.
- Nelsen Partners Another large firm in Austin who handles projects all over the world, they are the firm that designed The Long Center for Performing Arts.
- Tim Cuppett Architects A smaller firm, the projects by these creatives are a mix of innovative and simple residential, commercial and furniture solutions.
- MJ Neal We've posted about this architect before: first with Kim and Paul's Twin Tower and next with The Wolfe Den. We love his take on modern residences.
- Dick Clark Architecture We've recently posted about this firm, finding their flickr stream of project photographs inspiring. They tackle a number of great commercial and residential projects in Austin.
- Studio 8 Architects A medium-sized firm here in the city, these designers work on a variety of projects, including one of our favorites Mueller Central, and recently won an AIA Austin award for their work on Met Retail.
- KRDB Also not new to Apartment Therapy, we love KRDB for their work on affordable and sustainable homes, most recently working on their project Sol.
- Chioco Design Principal Jamie Chioco has worked on some of our favorite commercial projects in Austin, like Gallery D, Galaxy Cafe, Runtex and more.
- Michael Hsu Design Michael Hsu is behind many of Austin's most favorite well-designed commercial projects. From restaurants like Olivia, La Condesa and The Belmont, he's also behind the 04 Lofts and Mellow Johnny's.
- Alterstudio Responsible for mostly residential projects, Alterstudio is known for creating thoughtful, modern and stunning homes and structures.
Who do you think are the most influential architects in Austin? Are there any firms we left off the list? What are your favorite inspiring architecture projects in Austin? What about in your own city?