"Jobs, not chores!" says my son, though he doesn't get paid for doing them. Our kids have sets of regular jobs such as dressing the table and watering plants, but they also have seasonal jobs. As autumn has settled in here in Montréal, they are coming up with what they would like to be responsible for during this season.1.
Clean and put away all outdoor summer toys.
2. Rake dead leaves into piles, then jump in (don't bag them, instead shred them to make mulch).
3. Harvest, weed and tidy summer vegetable plants.
4. Wash pots and put them away for the Spring.
5. Plant bulbs for next spring. (flowering bulbs and garlic)
6. Start our indoor herb pots. (our main herb is thyme as we use a lot of it to make tea for use as a remedy against colds)
7. Make sure rain boots and shoes are always put away on top of a shoe tray.
8. Gather beautiful leaves off the ground for art projects.
9. Find the right pumpkins for October crafts.
(Images: Séverine Baron)