Now that we've had a little bit of time to settle into our dorms and classes, we hit the books for more essential tech for the dorm room. Today's class covers more tech to both keep you on point and distracted at the same time.
Whether you're a Mac or a PC, you'll undoubtedly need a computer for your dorm room. There's going to be long nights ahead of papers to write, websites to keep you from writing them, gaming, and
pr0n tasteful pictures of pretty people. Just make sure your roommate knocks before entering. [edit: now with more PC love]
- How You Can Snag a Mac for Nearly 80 Percent Off
- 5 Ways to Save Money on Your Next Apple Store Purchase
- Switching From PC To A Mac: Common Myths Debunked
- How to Switch Over from a PC to a Mac
- How To: Upgrade Your PC To Windows 7 In Style
- How to Build a PC That Looks Like a Mac
- Give Your Windows PC an Annual Fresh Start
- Which Version of Windows Are You Running?
- 5 Easy Steps For A Speedier PC (With Bonus Tracks)
- 10 Things We Love About Windows 7
- The Thick and Thin of MacBook Air Alternatives
While some professors up to date on modern technology may have you e-mail them your paper or submit it via some method online, many are still having us kill papers and support the ink cartridge barons with printed papers. Save on space and costs by splitting a printer with your roommate and sharing the ink costs.
- The MultiFunction Printer Showdown
- Good Looking Printer for Small Space?
- Buying a Printer? Why You Should Ignore Print Resolution
- Printer Ink Mostly Water, Still Costs More Than Champagne
- Why a Monochrome Laser Printer Might Make More Sense
TVs/Movies With or Without a TV
Ultra slim flat panel TVs make it easier than ever to fit a big screen into your cramped dorm room. Or if you prefer to kill two birds with one stone you can watch TV/movies on your computer. Whether it's streaming Hulu or Netflix, there's plenty of available content out there for your consumption.
- The Buyer's Guide to HDTV Terminology
- Netflix Streaming on Wii and PS3 Now Disc-Free
- The Streaming Services Showdown: Hulu Plus vs. Netflix
- How To Determine if Hulu Plus is Right for You
- How to: Stream Any Type of Video To Your Playstation 3
- Amazon Begins Offering Free Movie & TV Streaming
- 4 Tips to Get the Most Out of Your Netflix Subscription
Video Game System
Just one more game and we'll get back to studying for our exam, we promise. But mom's not here to yank the controller out of our hands and force us to study. Uh, oh.
- Video Game Console Life Cycle: Buying Your Next One
- Nintendo's Wii U Aims to Redefine Gaming (Again)
- Get Subscription Services (Like XBox LIVE!) for Cheap
- Save Money on Video Games with Netflix-like Services
Keep your valuables out of reach of your nosy roommate and his/her unscrupulous friends.
- Cheap Security Perfect for Dorm or Recent Grads
- How To Replace Valuable Docs Plus A Safe Buyer's Guide
- How to Keep That Laptop Locked Away from Nosy Roommates
- Does Your Roommate Have Sticky Fingers? Try This!
Although they were technically not allowed in our dorm rooms, we kept one hidden away anyway. No rules could stand in the way of our nutritious and energizing Hot Pocket late night snack.
That fire at 3am last week that had us all rush outside in our underwear and pajamas in the freezing rain may or may not have been my fault. There's no proof to say I did it.
- Survival Kit: Tech That Can Save Your Life In An Emergency
- How Many Fire Extinguishers Should You Have?
- Fire Design Fire Extinguishers
If you missed the first day of class, check out the first installment of our back to school tech guide.