I have news for you. That magic ingredient you're searching for to take your beautiful but bland space over the edge? It's personality. Neutral, sparse hotel rooms may be chic in photos or for a night, but the spaces we truly fall in love with and want to live in all proudly display lots of personality.
1. Color — Never has getting a massive punch of personality been so easy and so cheap. Are you dark and moody? Navy walls are calling your name. Yellow and sunny? You know what to do. A Benjamin spent on your favorite color will make your space look like a million bucks. Now that's cash money well spent.
2. Art — If you're not personalizing your wall real estate, you are missing a huge opportunity to infuse your personal style throughout your home. Fine art, photos or even objects are fair game for the walls. Just pick something you love and don't look back.
3. Travel souvenirs — Whether it's a folded and fading map from your last trip abroad, a knick knack you picked up in Chinatown, or a mysterious who-knows-what-it-is flea market object, decorating with souvenirs from a trip or just a fun day around town will give your space a unique flair and remind you of those fun times every time you walk in the door.
4. Hand-me-downs — Cha-ching! This strategy not only makes you a savvy decorator by embracing decor that you (or your family) already has, but it makes you a savvy spender as well because hand-me-downs are usually free and come with the bonus of familial memories already attached.
5. Collections — This is the time when all that collecting is about to pay off! After all, what's more you than that one thing you love so much that you need multiples. If you really want your room to reflect exactly who you are and what you love, it's time to dig out, dust off and display those collections.
(Image credits: Ashley Poskin; Arthur Garcia-Clemente; Lindsey Kay Averill)