- Decide whether the banquette is a focal point in the kitchen, or a transitional feature between the kitchen and another room.
- Don’t build it in the middle of the primary traffic flow – for example, the path between the refrigerator, stove, and sink, or the main entry to the kitchen.
- Plan on seating four-to-six people in approximately 200 square feet of space.
- Make sure the bench is not too deep relative to the table. Otherwise people will have a hard time reaching it.
- The seat backs vary in height, based on your preference. The range is usually 36 to 48 inches.
- Since it’s a prime eating spot, choose fabrics that clean easily, or design your banquette with removable cushions and washable slipcovers.
[2nd photo via Cottage Living 6/2008]
Check out more seating ideas at Apartment Therapy: