Barbara & Paul
Santa Barbara, California
700 square feet — 2 Bedroom and 1 Bathroom (main house) + 400 square feet (guest house)
Years lived in:
1 month — own
Welcome to the cozy cottage of Barbara and Paul — or as I call them Mom & Dad! My parents moved into this home a little over a month ago, with dreams of retiring in what they refer to as their "dream home."
Barbara and Paul have always owned homes where antiques and great lush landscaping were the prominent charm. In this new home, they enjoy the sweeping views of the mountains, the breeze of cool coastal air and the laid back California sunshine. However they do face challenges of “downsizing” and re-decorating in such a smaller space. Like so many of the houses they have lived in, their vintage country American style always remains true.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Classic, California cottage and shabby chic
Comes from the style of the house — contemporary classic mixed with vintage
Our lovely backyard
Living in such a small space
What Friends Say:
“It’s so cute.”
The size — we're still adjusting!
We just moved in, so we haven’t begun any major projects or renovations
We just replaced the piping with copper pipes + the custom window treatments
Follow the style of the house when you decorate. Also consider the location of the home, it’s so important.
I get a lot of inspiration from magazines. Coastal Living
, Country Living
, Architectural Digest
, Kitchen magazines, decoration/design magazines.
Resources of Note:
LIVING ROOM / MAIN HOUSE ENTRY
• white couch: bought it from a store in Encinitas, California
• dark wicker chairs: Ethan Allen
• curtains: Tri County
• bakers rack: antique
• red Chinese chest: Leaping Lotus in Solana Beach, California
• chests and wicker suitcases — Antica in Santa Barbara
• bed: Martha Stewart
• nightstands: Martha Stewart
• bed: antique
• wood desk: antique
• art work: paintings by Leroy Neiman
Thanks, Paul and Barbara!
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Street view of the Home and guest cottage