Bath & Body Works Candle Explodes, Sends Texas Woman to ER

Bath & Body Works Candle Explodes, Sends Texas Woman to ER

B08af71da317c886af4dfd880667ebacd06b19a8?auto=compress&w=240&h=240&fit=crop
Melissa Massello
Aug 1, 2017
(Image credit: DayOwl/Shutterstock)

One Texas woman endured a harrowing experience last week when her Bath & Body Works candle unexpectedly erupted in 6-inch flames, engulfing her face and sending her to the emergency room with first and second degree burns. And the entire ordeal was all caught on a home surveillance video captured by her family's Nest camera.

Ashley Brawley of Burleson, Texas became concerned when she smelled something burning in her living room, according to a viral Facebook post from her husband (and follow-up coverage by their local NBC station, below). The couple's 3-wick vanilla candle from Bath & Body Works had been burning for almost three and a half hours when she suddenly discovered it had erupted into a six-inch flame, and then tried to extinguish it by blowing on it.


"That didn't work," Cody Brawley wrote on Facebook. "The candle made a huge flame from just trying to blow it out. The flame engulfed her face and hot wax splashed all over her face. It burnt her face and hair. She has 1st and 2nd degree burns."

Her husband's post included a photo, his wife's face in bandages, recovering in the hospital. He added that although she was okay in the end, he wanted to post about the incident in case anyone else was using the same candle. The couple explained that the explosion occurred despite following all of the candle's written instructions, such as keeping the wick trimmed. Bath & Body Works told NBC that the candle met all government and industry standards.

"We are very sorry that this happened and are taking this situation extremely seriously," the brand said in a statement. "The safety of our customers is our number one priority, and we are actively working to learn more details from the customer."

Dear readers, if you are one of the many consumers who has flocked to Bath & Body Works recently to stock up on your favorite nostalgic 90s scents and other products, please be careful — and never try to extinguish a wax candle with a cup of water, as the couple can be seen doing in the video above. Instead, use these applicable kitchen safety tips for extinguishing a grease fire from Kitchn.

h/t Refinery29

Created with Sketch.