Name: Susan Castor Collection "Beach House"
Port Aransas, Texas
3980 square feet — 6 bedrooms and 5½ bathrooms
The Gulf Coast is all over the news these days, but it's rarely linked with design and decor. Today we’re bringing you news from the Texas Gulf Coast of a lighter, fresher sort. On a recent trip to Port Aransas, we unexpectedly discovered a beautiful custom-built (and eco-friendly) vacation home open for tours at Cinnamon Shore.
Susan Castor, along with her team of designers, collaborated with architect Melton Henry and builder Jerry Buckley to create the “Beach House” as a model for sophisticated, environmentally conscious coastal living. Their intention was to design a practical, comfortable vacation home that would accommodate extended families and maximize the beach front views. The home was completed fairly quickly thanks to careful planning and frequent communication between the architect, builder and designer (but no home owner). Although Susan Castor's name is associated with the "Beach House", each member of her design team was given a space in the house to design in her own voice while maintaining consistency throughout.
The most breath-taking feature of the home is the architecture of the high ceilings and the modern stairway that allows a view over the main living area. The space is open and endless reminding us of the sea, but the interior is not overly nautical. The lightly washed wood walls and floor echo driftwood and the color palette is mostly sand and water to harmonize with the coastline outside.The floor plan of the house is generous enough to include two master suites, mini-kitchens on each floor, and multiple living and dining areas. The main dining area has a banquet style table and a matching (but usually separate) square table that can be used together for large dinner parties. Overall, the house can sleep and seat 18 people!
This summer the "Beach House" is open for viewing as a concept home with 80% of the admission fees being donated to the Port Aransas Education Foundation.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our style: Casual elegance.
Inspiration:Other designers and architects.
Favorite Element: Architectural details.
Biggest Challenge:Capturing the view on a narrow lot.
What Friends Say:It’s very peaceful and soothing.
Biggest Indulgence:Art and accessories.
Best advice: Plan.
- Appliances: Viking, Asko, and Thermadore
- Hardware: Baldwin
- Furniture: Custom, Hickory Chair, Kravet, Lexington, Eddy West, Tritter Feefer, Palecek
- Accessories: Susan Castor Collection
- Lighting: Tech, Currey & Company, Oly
- Rugs: French Market, Surya, Merida, Company C, Olmos Oriental Rugs, Classic Home
- Tiles and Stone: DalTile, Ice Stone countertops
- Window Treatments: Custom and Hunter Douglas
- Beds: Custom
- Artwork: Susan Castor Collection, Mustang Art Gallery, Port Aransas Gallery
- Paint: Benjamin Moore – Bleeker Beige, White Dove, Putnam Ivory, Spirit in the Sky, Honeymoon, Bone White, Hollingsworth Green, Dune Grass, Beach Glass, Dill Pickle
- Flooring: Custom wood floors
(Thanks, Susan and Team!)
Images: Misty Adair