Names: Beatrix (2) and Baby Sister (due in December)
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
When we found out we were expecting our second daughter in December, I knew I wanted her to have a nursery like no one else's. Almost all the textile projects in the room were handmade by my mom or myself, and we were able to repurpose existing furnishings from our house without having to buy any new major pieces! Inspired by the intricacy and charm of Matryoshka dolls, I decided on a colorful, pattern-rich bohemian look with a little wink and whimsy fit for a little girl. I started by choosing a palette of coral and red shades and turquoise to complement the existing gray walls and white crib. A coat of paint and new knobs brightened up our old IKEA Hemnes dresser, and the rest was just tons of fabric-buying and sewing.
I made the ruffled curtains, crib bedding and pillows, and recovered the ugly old glider, while my mom offered her quilting expertise for the crib quilt and twin comforter. It's now everybody's favorite space in the house, including big sister. Now all we have to do is wait for the baby who will call it her own!
- Wall color: Behr Classic Silver
- Dresser: IKEA Hemnes painted Martha Stewart Hummingbird Blue, ceramic knobs from Hobby Lobby
- Cubbies: IKEA Expedit
- Crib: IKEA Sniglar, painted white
- Lamp: Target, spray-painted Krylon Watermelon
- Platform bed and trundle: Amazon
- Rug: IKEA
- Curtains: Handmade (similar to PBK)
- Crib sheet: Handmade with Michael Miller Secret Garden Lock & Key Coral
- Crib skirt: Handmade with Michael Miller Sorbet Spa Ikat Coral
- Art: AmyPerrotti on Etsy and World Market gift bags, frames from Hobby Lobby
- Quilt and comforter: Handmade with fabrics from Jo-Ann
- Glider: Storkcraft, recovered with Premier Prints Twill Polka Dot Storm
- Throw: Pier 1
Thanks Kylie! Readers, visit Kylie at Two Hands and a Bleeding Heart.
(Images: Two Hands and a Bleeding Heart)
• MY ROOM ARCHIVE
• SUBMIT A BABY OR KID'S SPACE