We were over at our favourite cat blog, Moderncat
when we noticed these beautiful bird mobiles from Spool Sewing
. Our youth demographic decor site Ohdeedoh was already on top of these last year
, but we think these are worth revisiting not just as a decorative mobile, but also as a stylish DIY catnip toy for your favourite feline. Learn how to make your own below...
Michael Fulkerson's pattern for "Mr. Blue Bird" is available for download
Materials: 10" x 10" square (each) of 2 fabrics, scissors, marking pencil, thread
1. Cut out your feathered friend from 2 contrasting pieces of fabric.
2. Pin 1 edge of the belly to the body, right sides together starting at the tail.
3. Using a 1/4" seam allowance, sew the 2 pieces together using a straight stitch from dot to dot. Be sure to leave the tail end open.
4. Pin other edge and sew together the same way.
5. Sew head seam together to dot.
6. Turn bird right side out and stuff.
7. Sew tail closed.
Fill these up with a thin stuff of catnip, and you're sure to have a toy that not only gets the attention of your feline, but also looks good around the house as he/she carries it around in crazed pride! More great stuff over at Spool Sewing here!