I love chairs. I love blue. I love blue chairs. Blue can be mellow and luscious or bright and spirited. And blue looks good with most colors (how can the color of the sky and sea clash with anything?). But some blues are more uplifting and playful than others. Unless paired with white or another light color, navy can be downright depressing (insert cheap play on "has the blues" or "sings the blues" here) and almost dirty looking. But throw in a little indigo, teal, turquoise, sea foam or peacock and it's all blue skies.
Images, from left to right.
• 1 Eddie accent chair from Z Gallerie, $1,299.
• 2 CH468 Chair at Design Within Reach, $5,265. Hans J. Wegner's CH468 Chair was designed in 1960, but it wasn't until 2010 that Carl Hansen & Son brought it into production.
• 3 Grasshopper chair in Montecito Lagoon fabric from Modernica, $1,550.
• 4 Clara chair in stone blue from Crate and Barrel, $899.
• 5 Swedish mid-century modern teak armchair. Made in the 1950s and restored and reupholstered in turquoise wool velvet. 1stDibs, $1,875.
• 6 Wingback chair upholstered in Josef Frank linen print fabric. V and M, $2,000.
• 7 Mrs. Godfrey chair in Cashin Ocean from Jonathan Adler, $1,695.
• 11 Cubed chair in Turkish Blue by Innovation USA. Turns into a 38"x79" bed. Modern Furniture, $1,124.
• 12 Vintage turquoise outdoor chair from Atlas Home on Etsy, $155.
• 13 Shay swivel glider in teal from Room and Board, $899.