I think my ideal living space is part greenhouse and part library. To get the look of the latter you don't have to have a wheeled ladder — just orderly bookshelves.
A well organized collection of books (and even some no-maintenance trompe l'oeil wallpaper, Image 8) can look good in any room. Done right, even your stairways can be book repositories (Image 9), and your bookshelves can double as room dividers (Image 7). Try going tall to add drama and maximize space, and for an extra punch consider dressing up the shelves with paint or paper.
1. Celeste Sunderland for Apartment Therapy
2. Bethany Nauert for Apartment Therapy
3. Little Green Notebook
4. Domino via My Grandpa's Closet
6. Elizabeth Sullivan Designs via Made by Girl
7. Peter Bennetts via Desire to Inspire
8. Marcia Prentice for Apartment Therapy
9. Kristin Hohenadel for Apartment Therapy
10. Making it Lovely
MORE BOOK STORAGE ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
• Design Inspiration: Bookcase Stairs
• Bookcase Doors from Apartment Therapy and Beyond
• Restful Repositories: 10 Charming Home Libraries
(Images: as linked above)