Whether you want your bedroom to serve as a soothing retreat or prefer it make a dramatic statement, getting the lighting just right is an essential element to create the mood you crave. Given the many roles a bedroom has to play, more than one lighting option is necessary to keep the room functional — dressing by the quiet light of rosy bedside lamps can create some wardrobe distasters while trying to read in the harsh glare of an overhead light will never help you nod off.
From dramatic bedroom chandeliers to subtle DIY headboard lighting, our Apartment Therapy archive is full of inspiration for marrying your bedroom lighting to your lifestyle needs.
- Drum Shades Above the Bed - Opinions on this dramatic lighting solution may be mixed but everyone seems to agree it makes a strong statement.
- Symmetrical Bedside Lighting - This classic design works with both traditional lamps and more avante-garde options.
- DIY Glowing Headboard: Cheap, Quick and Easy - For a mere $7, you can't beat this DIY solution to replicate the look of a luxury modern hotel.
- Roundup: Chandeliers in the Bedroom - Hanging a chandelier in the bedroom makes a dramatic and romantic statement in this most private space.
- Inspiration: Hanging Lamps at the Bedside - For those without the bedside table space to accommodate a lamp, hanging pendants make for a creative solution.
- The Pink District: Pink Lightbulbs - Safer than draping a scarf over a lamp to soften the glow, pink lightbulbs cast a delicate flattering light in the bedroom.
- Unconventional Ideas for Bedroom Lighting - For those who crave a dramatic installation, or just want to test out a bolder look, the bedroom can be an excellent testing ground for creative lighting ideas.
Images: as linked above