A New York couple hit the jackpot when they found this gorgeous 1887 Queen Anne for sale — only $46,000! It had amazing bones, including a completely octagonal room on each of its three stories. But there was a catch — it was condemed — and the bank loan would only work if the couple agreed to complete any major structural fixes and get the plumbing and electrical up to code within six months!
The couple's story is truly inspirational. They decided to devote the next six months of their life to renovating their dream house, and other than the help of a few required licensed professionals, they did the work all on their own.
Here are a few highlights from their adventure:
- They lived in the house during the renovation
- The house had no heat or running water so they joined a gym for the showers
- At purchase time, the house was split into a two-family residence; the couple merged it back to a single-family home without significantly changing the floor plan
- The front and rear porches were rebuilt in what is believed to be the original design
- 33 energy efficient windows were installed
- Insulation was installed throughout
Read More: Making a Rundown House Liveable in Just 6 Months at This Old House
(Images: Tria Giovan/This Old House)