Before & After: Black & White Home Theater Goes Technicolor!

We took this standard issue, black and white IKEA Besta cabinet configuration and gave it that proverbial pop of color, not with paint but with an assortment of vinyl electrical tapes. The process was tedious — involving a bit more work than we imagined. Isn't that how all DIY's go? The results, however, are something we're particularly proud of.

Pin it button big

My style is evolving as I write for Apartment Therapy. Before coming on board, I was a proponent of the ultra modern and the super sleek, which the first iteration of our Besta cabinets install reflected very well. I think this style choice was partly due to myself growing up in a country-styled home that my Mom decorated with pictures, flowers, ducks, and all sorts of glassware in every corner. For whatever reason, I never appreciated that look and always viewed those pieces as unnecessary clutter, which steered my aesthetic away from it as far as possible.

Now that I've been reading and touring homes for Apartment Therapy, I'm starting to see things more open-mindedly. I see how a wall of pictures can tell a story, how a row of ceramic ducks can be fun, and how flowers and plants can really liven up a space. I'm starting to appreciate other design styles, even my Mother's, as I now see how all those details turn a space into a comfortable home with personality - something my previous living room motif didn't really have much of.

Pin it button big

With this new appreciation toward such decorative elements, it seemed fitting to dial back the techno-modern a bit and infuse some much-needed color into the space. I looked at contact paper and Panyl, and myKea options, but nothing really grabbed me. I wanted bold bright green tones I couldn't find anywhere, and realized this project was going to have to go the full-custom DIY route.

We used photoshop to draft up the design. Then used self-adhesive lime green vinyl sheets for a base (from Metro Restyling) and two types of vinyl electrical tape (from Identitape) for the stripes.

Pin it button big

After removing all the doors from the cabinets the vinyl sheets were applied using a t-square as a squeegee — it was helpful to use a straight-edge that spanned the width of the doors. The doors were then put back onto the cabinets and the tape carefully applied across all the cabinets - one long row at a time. This whole project took the better part of an afternoon, but we love how it pulled everything together and made the space that much more fun and personal.

See the first part of the transformation here: Before & After: Bachelor Pad Drab to Penthouse Fab
Read more details on the installation process: House.0

(Images: Chris Perez)