Here are the steps I took to revitalize the chair:
- I stripped the old and uneven polyurethane off.
- Gave it a good sanding.
- Re-glued any loose joints, especially around the armrests.
- I used a wood conditioner over the surface and then stained it a honey chocolate brown to even out the color.
- I loved the dark rich color I got from the stain but decided it was too heavy for its intended room. So I painted an ivory white on top of it and then sanded away choice edges to reveal the stain underneath giving it a nostalgic rustic feel.
- After adding a seat cushion, pillow and my pharata 'dirty' monster, my grandma's rocking chair is sturdier, more inviting, and fits in perfectly with my home's decor.
RELATED LINK: My Apartment Therapy House Call Images: Alysha Findley