This rocking chair has been in my life for a few decades and has really gotten around. It has traveled from the Bronx, to Las Vegas, to Montana, to Santa Barbara, to Los Angeles and currently resides in Seattle. It's the rocking chair that my grandmother would religiously sit in every night at 7pm and watch Jeopardy. This chair has seen better days so I decided to breathe some new life into it so it can continue to be around for the long haul.
Here are the steps I took to revitalize the chair:
- I stripped the old and uneven polyurethane off.
- Gave it a good sanding.
- Re-glued any loose joints, especially around the armrests.
- I used a wood conditioner over the surface and then stained it a honey chocolate brown to even out the color.
- I loved the dark rich color I got from the stain but decided it was too heavy for its intended room. So I painted an ivory white on top of it and then sanded away choice edges to reveal the stain underneath giving it a nostalgic rustic feel.
- After adding a seat cushion, pillow and my pharata 'dirty' monster, my grandma's rocking chair is sturdier, more inviting, and fits in perfectly with my home's decor.
Now, I can enjoy sipping tea, reading books and shouting answers to Jeopardy in this chair for years to come.
RELATED LINK: My Apartment Therapy House Call
Images: Alysha Findley